Wednesday 14 September 2016

RECIPE | MARY BERRY CHERRY CAKE

My Nan celebrated her birthday last week and it's tradition in her flats for residents to bring cakes to "coffee morning" on the Monday. Mum and I baked a lemon drizzle cake, some cupcakes and a cherry cake for her to take down with her.

This is one of my favourite cakes to make, it's simple to make and super yummy! I always turn to Mary Berry or GoodFood for recipes for anything I make, this recipe is one of Mary Berry's and just happened to feature in the Great British Bake Off back in 2014!

I'm really happy with how it turned out!


For this recipe you will need a 23cm/9in savarin mould or bundt tin preferably (a 20cm round cake tin would do though).

Serves: 10-12

Ingredients:
200g glacé cherries
225g self-raising flour
175g softened butter
1 lemon (I only had a half but it was enough to be able to taste it)
50g ground almonds
3 large free-range eggs


For the decoration:
175g icing sugar (I used royal icing sugar, it's a bit thicker apparently.. this was my first attempt!)
1 lemon (I didn't bother with this)
15g flaked almonds
5 glacé cherries, quartered


Method

  • Preheat the over to 180ºc
  • Grease a bundt tin/savarin mould with butter
  • Cut the cherries into quarters and set aside 5 for the decoration. Rinse the cherries, drain and dry thoroughly with kitchen roll. Roll in flour to avoid sinkage! (In this instance, I rolled mine in the ground almonds)
  • Measure all the remaining ingredients out into a large bowl and beat well
  • Lightly fold in the cherries and turn into the prepared tin
  • Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and the skewer comes out clean (I covered the cake with foil half way through to avoid it burning on the edges)
  • Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire rack.
  • For the icing, mix the sugar together with the lemon juice to a thick paste, drizzle over the cooled back using the back of a spoon. 
  • Sprinkle over the toasted almonds and remaining cherries.


I'm not a fan of lemon in cakes so when we make this for ourselves I tend not to include an of the lemon as the recipe suggests. It works just as well and taste even better... well, I think so!

Give it a go and let me know what you think of it. Send me pictures too!

No comments:

Post a Comment