Mum is a huge lover of marzipan so this recipe immediately caught her eye. It’s in the BBC GoodFood Bakes & Cakes recipe book but annoyingly I can’t seem to find it online anywhere.
Ingredients: 200g butter, softened 200g caster sugar 4 eggs beaten 200g self raising flour 200g glace cherries, chopped 100g ground almonds 2-3 drops almond extract 250g marzipan 50g blanched almonds, halved (we used flaked almonds) Icing sugar, for dusting
- Heat the oven to 160c/fan 140c/gas 3. Butter and line a deep 20cm round cake tin.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and creamy.
- Pour in the eggs a little at a time and beat well. Mix in the flour, one third at a time.
- Fold in the cherries, ground almonds and almond extract until evenly mixed.
- Spoon half the mixture into the tin.
- Roll the marzipan to a 19cm circle. Lay this on top of the cake mixture and top with the rest of the mixture.
- Level the mixture and scatter the almonds on top.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until the skewer comes out clean. Cover with foil after 1hour.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes then turn out on a wire rack, cool completely then dust with icing sugar.
The recipe went down really well with the family and made a great pudding, especially with a bit of cream! It’s definitely one we’ll make again.